Beyond Conflict Director of Development
Beyond Conflict is seeking an experienced development professional who will be responsible for implementing strategies to significantly increase philanthropic support, and will shape and oversee BC’s fundraising, with a particular emphasis on unrestricted giving. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of securing >= 6-figure gifts, and work with the growing BC team and leadership to develop major gift proposals and solicitation opportunities from both individuals and institutions, particularly for unrestricted gifts, as well as identify, cultivate, solicit and steward philanthropic gifts. The role will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with the CEO/Founder and other colleagues to create a strategy that will grow the development program to the next level, harness our recent momentum, build our prospect pipeline, and increase and diversify our donor base. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial and a self-starter, mission-driven and enjoys a fast-paced team-based environment, and can function at multiple levels by providing critical strategic, analytical and relationship management guidance.
The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Create and manage a development plan, program, and metrics, with a primary emphasis on major gifts of >=$100K from high net worth individuals, but also with institutions as appropriate
- Serve as the primary day-to-day development leader and key resource, and collaborate across the team to identify, prioritize and refine giving opportunities and build prospect pipeline, particularly for unrestricted gifts
- Staff and brief senior staff, BC team and Board for prospect/donor visits, solicitations and events as appropriate
- Advise colleagues throughout the organization about best practices on lead generation, qualifying and vetting opportunities, proposal development, prospect research, reporting, philanthropic messaging, and development activities and events
- Clarify and vet giving opportunities, and partner with colleague to develop written proposals, correspondence and other communications
- Strengthen internal processes and create additional operational infrastructure to support and reach revenue expansion goals, including maintaining relevant info in SalesForce, which BC is in the initial phases of rolling out, and providing updated info to colleagues for future cultivation strategies
- Develop strong relationships with all staff to strengthen their ability to contribute to and secure funds for their respective projects
- Thoroughly understand, believe in and have the ability to articulate Beyond Conflict’s mission, culture, values, programs and finances
- Perform other work-related duties as needed by the Founder/CEO or Executive Director
- Ability to travel and/or work occasionally during evenings and weekends if needed
- Minimum of 7 years working in major gifts fundraising; and experience working with institutional donors a plus
- Proven track record of success in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding >=6-figure gifts
- Ability to build a comprehensive development program by traditional and entrepreneurial means without an affiliated constituent base
- Ability to be proactive and a self-starter; and able to work in a fast-paced innovative environment, working with and motivating others, including current and prospective donors and their advisors
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to inspire and persuade high net worth individuals and institutions to take productive action
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, and to display sensitivity, tact and diplomacy with donors, prospects, board, and colleagues; professional credibility and maturity required to engage and effectively leverage these stakeholders in the cultivation of key prospects
- An outgoing and positive personality with strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative working style, and an entrepreneurial approach to building and guiding an advancement program, including a willingness to take risks and advocate for unconventional ideas
- Interest in and capacity to translate complex, nuanced science-based content in a clear, concise, accessible and powerful manner
- Highly proficient in MS Office and G-Suite, and with contact management systems; SalesForce experience a plus
- Ability to think strategically as well as analytically in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment; and be able to be hands-on while also managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Integrity, imagination, creativity, and strong listening skills
Why Work With Beyond Conflict?
At Beyond Conflict you will have the exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of psychological research, and the development of interventions to help shape the world in which we live. Beyond Conflict also offers competitive salary and benefits package including 401K, heath, dental, and generous vacation packages.
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Development Director” in the subject line. Beyond Conflict is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Beyond Conflict is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Beyond Conflict are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.