About Beyond Conflict
Founded in 1992, Beyond Conflict is a global non-profit organization based in Boston that works with government, nonprofit and community leaders to create powerful and innovative frameworks to open pathways in peace talks, transitions to democracy, and national reconciliation in the aftermath of division and violence. In recent years, Beyond Conflict has become a leader in developing scientifically driven solutions and various intellectual property tools that combine practical insights from brain and behavioral scientists and real-world practitioners, and are essential to improving their understanding of how best to intervene in some of societies’ hardest challenges and conflicts. Their impact has been felt in over 75 countries.
A recent transformational gift has allowed Beyond Conflict to grow its organizational capacity to recruit a Director of Development and to provide the runway to develop funding relationships that ensure a healthy and sustainable financial position. The DoD will be an entrepreneurial, high achieving, and optimistic fundraising professional with the skills, experience, and leadership needed to take on this exciting opportunity. A well-rounded development professional, the DoD will be responsible for creating and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy. Initially, the fundraising strategy will focus on high net worth individuals and corporate and foundation relationships, eventually evolving into a fully comprehensive program. The right candidate will believe in the mission of Beyond Conflict, see its potential, and be able to develop the cultivation and communication strategies that will secure support. The DoD will report to the Executive Director. S/he will partner closely with the founder, Board, and program staff. In doing so, the Director must be astute, diplomatic, inquisitive, collaborative, and comfortable with calculated risk. The Director must also work both closely and autonomously with prospects and ideas.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, create a viable strategic plan for fundraising – including rationale, areas of investment, and expected outcomes and ROI.
- Draw on best practices, adapted for Beyond Conflict, to identify and engage relationships, increase revenue, represent the organization well, and steward donors effectively.
- Provide day-to-day direction on all fundraising opportunities and activity.
- Manage a portfolio of individual and institutional donors.
- Proactively support the management of donors whose primary relationship is with the founder, ED, or other key stakeholders.
- Advise colleagues throughout the organization about best practices on lead generation, qualifying and vetting opportunities, proposal development, prospect research, reporting of results, and fundraising messaging through informal mentoring or formal training and presentations.
- Evaluate the fundraising plan and regularly report progress against strategic and operational goals.
- As opportunity shapes and presents itself, recommend investments that will further growth and sustain fundraising.
- Ensure that fundraising is a top priority of Beyond Conflict’s staff and volunteer leaders.
• Minimum of 10 years working in major gifts fundraising; experience working with institutional donors a plus.
• Proven track record of success in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding 6-figure and larger gifts.
• Proactive self-starter able to work in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
• Outgoing and positive personality with strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative working style, and an entrepreneurial mindset, including a willingness to take risks and advocate for unconventional ideas.
• Interest in and capacity to translate complex, nuanced science-based content in a clear, concise, accessible, and powerful manner.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Why Work With Beyond Conflict?
At Beyond Conflict you will have the exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of psychological research, and the development of interventions to help shape the world in which we live. Beyond Conflict also offers competitive salary and benefits package including 401K, health, dental, and generous vacation packages.
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development” in the subject line. Beyond Conflict is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Beyond Conflict is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that traditional hiring practices have historically and systemically marginalized entire groups of people — including people of color, people from different socio-economic backgrounds, women, and people in the LGBTQIA+ community, to name a few. We believe that we are better as an organization when we work to deconstruct the barriers and build a team that has authentic representation from diverse communities, backgrounds and beliefs. Hence, we strongly encourage qualified candidates from those mentioned as well as other marginalized communities to apply for roles within our team.