About Beyond Conflict
Founded in 1992, Beyond Conflict is a global non-profit organization based in Boston that works with government, nonprofit and community leaders to create powerful and innovative frameworks to open pathways in peace talks, transitions to democracy, and national reconciliation in the aftermath of division and violence. In recent years, Beyond Conflict has become a leader in developing scientifically driven solutions and various intellectual property tools that combine practical insights from brain and behavioral scientists and real-world practitioners, and are essential to improving their understanding of how best to intervene in some of societies’ hardest challenges and conflicts. Their impact has been felt in over 75 countries.
Beyond Conflict is looking for a part-time (24 hours/week) Director of Finance. The ideal candidate is a mission-oriented, strategic leader with strong experience managing finance operations. The Finance Director will be responsible for overseeing financial management, accounting, planning and budgeting, and external audit preparation.
In the near term, this role will be performed remotely. As the public health situation changes in the months ahead, Beyond Conflict staff may return to working in the organization’s offices in Downtown Crossing.
The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Produce, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely
- Manage all financial, project, program and grants accounting and reporting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and tax filings.
- Coordinate and lead annual organizational and grant-specific budgeting and
financial planning process.
- Monitor and analyze budget variance and keep senior leadership team apprised
of the organization’s financial status.
- Produce organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Update, document and implement all necessary business policies, accounting
practices, and internal controls.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the leadership
team and the board of directors. Serve as staff liaison with the board of directors’
- Hire, train, and supervise one full-time finance staff member.
- Manage and maintain liability, workers compensation, directors and officers, and
other insurance contracts
- Assist with special projects, as requested.
Skills and Experience Needed:
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles
(GAAP) including fund accounting for nonprofits.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or like field with an MBA/CPA or related license
- Six-plus years of financial and grant management experience.
- The ideal candidate has extensive experience taking final responsibility for the
quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for a
- High levels of integrity, credibility, reliability, and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Experience in effectively managing finance staff.
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts clearly and accurately to
leadership team and a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficient in accounting software programs.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to
prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external
Why Work With Beyond Conflict?
At Beyond Conflict you will have the exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of psychological research, and the development of interventions to help shape the world in which we live. Beyond Conflict also offers competitive salary and benefits package including 401K, health, dental, and generous vacation packages.
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Director of Finance” in the subject line. Beyond Conflict is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Beyond Conflict is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that traditional hiring practices have historically and systemically marginalized entire groups of people — including people of color, people from different socio-economic backgrounds, women, and people in the LGBTQIA+ community, to name a few. We believe that we are better as an organization when we work to deconstruct the barriers and build a team that has authentic representation from diverse communities, backgrounds and beliefs. Hence, we strongly encourage qualified candidates from those mentioned as well as other marginalized communities to apply for roles within our team.